Friday 3 April 2009

One is more than enough

The room was quiet now, save for the murmuring of the visitors standing under the trees outside, the panting breath of the woman on the bed and the squalling of the child.
“A beautiful baby girl,” the midwife pronounced. Her brown face, shiny with effort, beamed at the young mother.
“Ah, wonderful,” came the tired reply. “Just what I wanted.” Smiles echoed around the hospital delivery room. The air was still and warm, hung with the heavy scent of frangipani wafting in through the open window.
“Just a minute.” The atmosphere changed with the alarm in the voice. “I think there’s another one.”
“ANOTHER?”
“Yes, there seems to be another baby here.”
“You said I had a girl. That’s fine. That’s what I wanted. Stop right there.”
“Sorry, mama, but there IS another baby coming. You didn’t know?”
“I didn’t know.”
“Another beautiful baby girl.”
The mother turned her head, weeping. This was not how it should be. The midwife sighed. “Be thankful, mother, that you are of the right tribe. Twins are a blessing for you, not a bad omen. Be thankful that you do not belong to a people where, fifty years ago, you would have had to leave one child out for the hyenas, or your family would have been cursed. Be thankful that your girls are healthy: you are doubly blessed.”
Yes, thought the young woman, tired beyond thinking. I must be thankful. I suppose I AM blessed. But will they be?

Medlycott says: I liked that, a lot. A nice, different angle. Very good. David
Chausiku says: Mpira, this is an excellent piece. On reading the brief, my mind was blank as to what I could possibly come up with that would be interesting, but you have succeeded. As with much of your writing, rafiki, you bring me right back to my childhood days in East Africa!
tesslin says: Well done for being the first, I have looked at this since the competiton was set and have thought of nothing. This is a good and interesting piece, the only thing I am not sure about is the : after healthy.
jer364 says: Athought provoking piece that set the standard. It was a tricky brief but this was beautifully handled.
j2write says: I can't really add to the other comments - they have captured what I would have written. A well worked piece. The thought of the hyena - made me cringe. Well done.

No comments: