Sunday 8 February 2009

An inconsequential curse

“Curse you!” From nowhere came the screech of crazy woman on the beach.
The staring eyes, the ugly face of one who thought we’d stole her space.
Wide-eyed, my child spoke not a word as overhead a scream of birds
Added to the evil wish: on the rocks there lay dead fish.

We hurried off; all fun had gone. Deserted sand now left alone
We scurried homewards hand in hand, wishing not our ground to stand
For right to play as we would wish; for on the rocks there lay dead fish.

We’d left the shore to cross the road when suddenly a stock car towed
From a racetrack near at hand veered off the street towards the strand.
My child was there. I tried to snatch his hand - too late. I could not catch
His life to keep it safe and sound. Yet still I hear his voice around.

No comments: