Tuesday 2 December 2008

Christmas Wishes

We wish for all kinds of things at Christmas: these wishes are somewhat different…

I wish I’d been a friend to her, that humble teenage mother
We’d share our laughter and our joy, our fears with one another.
I would have given all I owned to help her make that journey
As she obeyed the word of God , which fulfilled all her yearnings.

I wish I’d been a shepherd boy upon those hills so cold
I’d huddle close up to my sheep and guard them in the fold.
I wouldn’t be so terrified if angels then appeared
I’d laugh and shout and dance with joy: I wouldn’t think it weird.

I wish I’d been a learned man who lived in foreign lands
Who used his brain to study stars, not fight in mighty bands.
I’d pack my bags, gather my friends and make that journey far.
I’d keep my gaze through all those days upon that travelling star.

I wish I’d lived in Bethlehem just near that lowly stable.
I would have rushed on over there as fast as I was able.
I know I would have marvelled at the wonder I would find
The tiny babe a mighty King: the Saviour of mankind.

No comments: