Wednesday 3 March 2010

I am, I do not, I do, I am not

I am – yet I do not

I am a daughter
yet I do not behave daughterly,
confiding in my mother, asking
her advice, coming to her for consolation.

I am a wife
yet I do not behave so completely
as to be perfectly obedient, compliant,
putting my husband first above all else.

I am a mother
yet I do not act motherly,
softly offering love without reproach
nurturing, supporting, a haven for my children.

I am a teacher
yet I do not always consider
that my charges are yet babies,
needing better communication than I give them.

I am a friend
yet I do not act so lovingly
that I will go extra miles
to bring comfort and consolation.

I am not – yet I do

I am not a writer
yet I draw forth meaning from
few words scattered on a page,
bringing insight and emotion.

I am not a painter
yet, occasionally, my use of colour
in paint brings emotion to the fore,
and I am satisfied.

I am not a cook
yet baking speaks to my soul
and pours love out
to those I prepare food for.

I am not a seamstress
yet the act of mending rips and tears
concealing blemishes in cherished garments
brings me contentment.

I am not a manager
yet organizing systems, people,
bringing order out of chaos
fulfils the tidiness in me.

I am not a lover
yet, through tiny acts of service,
through tender thoughts and caring words
I love. I do.

No comments: